Wednesday 22 December 2010

Hiya, I'm Kim!


Hi there Ho there! My name is Kim Smith and it's really nice to meet you. [: Jackie is so sweet to ask me to be involved with this blog, and I'm pumped to bring you lots of fun wooly inspiration as well as (hopefully) share photos of our knitting nights! I'm a bit silly and 'freestyle' in terms of my photos and knitting, but life's too short to take too seriously, right? Anyway, lets get down to 'business'...

How long have I been knitting for?

Well, my Mum has always been involved in Quilting and we did our fair share of card making with a group of ladies when I was smaller. Knitting was kind of a seasonal thing to me growing up, and I remember getting the hang of it when I was around 10 years old. (wow, that means I've been knitting for 10 years! crazy!) But, I'd say I've been 'more focused' for about 3 years now: trying new stitches, finding my own knitting books, buying my own yarn, taking it on public transport, adventuring away from just scarves and having get-to-gethers at my home. I remember I always used to like teaching people how to knit and you can't beat sitting around with a couple of girl friends while flashing those needles!


Why did I start knitting?

It was something fun to learn when I was smaller. Good mother/daughter times. Keeps my hands busy while watching t.v. or on buses. Another craft that I fell in love with. It's magical. We all know I'm secretly a Grandma.

Why do I knit?

Mainly, just because my cat likes to play with wool. No, seriously. [: I live alone (with my cute kitty cat) and also deal with an illness that makes me incredibly tired, so I've been picking up my needles more often than not because it gives me something to do while I relax after a difficult day. I've always been the type of person who doesn't like to waste time, and when I was told that I need to take it a bit easier, I turned to something that comforts me and also gives me a sense of accomplishment. I love trying out new patterns and even making them up sometimes! I'm working up to the stage where I'll be able to incorporate some knitting into my Illustrations more, but at the moment I'm 'practicing' and making things for fun.

How did I find out about/get involved in Wednesday Knit?
Well, most of my fondest memories of 'girlfriends' have all involved something of the crafty sort. I used to love to tag along with Mum and hang out with her friends while they all stitched away, and when I moved to London for Uni, I knew I wanted to find a special group of my own. Jackie and I had been chatting online for a while (y'know how it is, bloggers) and I was pretty excited that here was a girl of 'my type' right in London. haha. Now, this year a lot of people from my illustration course want to learn how to knit- so hopefully they'll tag along with me to Wednesday Knit
²


(This is a photo I took at my first meeting at the travel bookshop!)

Do I have any tips for wannabe knitters?

Relax and start small. Get someone to show you how to start and pick an easy yarn to work with. Don't try and make a fair isle sweater or pair of socks for your first project! Once you get the hang of it and can recognize your stitches a little bit, pick a slightly harder project and learn as you go! I found that using a book with pictures and instructions worked well, but if you're more of a visual person, look on Youtube or ask friends. Don't be scared, have lots of patience, realize that knitting can be very repetitive and don't get discouraged if you mess up!

Oh and start looking in your local 99p stores and charity shops and markets for bargains on wool and needles!

What else do I do other than knit and crochet?

I'm currently doing a BA in Illustration at Camberwell (UAL), and it's wonderful! I also take a lot of photographs and decorate my home and cuddle with my cat and make milkshakes and dream about riding my vespa again. Oh, and I keep a blog/online shop called Art Equals Happy which I hope to one day make my full time job.

It was nice to meet you, if you have any Q's just leave them in the comments.
See you soon! Kimxo

No comments:

Post a Comment